Wolf Run Studio - Houses of Worship
Bill Harrah
Wolf Run Studio
P.O. Box 444
Clifton VA 20124

(703) 250-6711
(703) 764-9204





. . . HOUSES OF WORSHIP . . . (Click on an image to see the actual notecard size)
Trinity Episcopal Church
Shepherdstown, West Virginia

#NC-08290-WP - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-785

Trinity Church on German Street was under construction for five years being consecrated by Bishop Johns on April 5, 1859. However, the church's history actually began in 1745 when the original "Old English Church," a log chapel, was erected by old Frederick Parish. When Shepherdstown (Mecklenburg) was incorporated in 1762, Church Street was named for the building. The log chapel was replaced by a stone building in 1769. Known as "Mecklenburg Chapel," the building fell into neglect caused by the Revolution and disestablishment of the Church in Virginia. In 1815 the church was rebuilt by the first vestry of the newly created St. Andrew's Parish. Enlargement of the structure took place in 1840-42.

Because the 1842 church was soon deemed too small, the Rev. Dr. C.W. Andrews led a movement to build the new church on German Street. It was built at a cost of about $10,000. A substantial amount was given by Rezin D. Shepherd, who later threatened to involve the vestry in a legal battle with the town over his wish to move the church clock to the town hall (McMurran Hall). The matter was settled and the clock removed and stored, pending completion of the town hall. A few months later, John Brown's raid took place. After the Civil War, the chapel adjacent to the church was built again under the rectorship of Dr. Andrews.

Text © 1993 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1993 Bill Harrah

Adat Reyim    Christ Church    Clifton Baptist Church    Clifton Presbyterian Church    The Falls Church    Fort Belvoir Chapel    Fredericksburg Baptist Church    Fredericksburg United Methodist Church    Memorial Chapel at Walter Reed Hospital    Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church    The Old Post Chapel    Pohick Episcopal Church, Truro Parish    The Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg    St. George's Episcopal Church    St. Joseph's Church    St. Mary's Catholic Church    St. Mary's Church    St. Peter's Lutheran Church    St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church    Trinity Episcopal Church, Sheperdstown    Trinity Episcopal Church, Upperville    Truro Episcopal Church    Vienna Presbyterian Church    Wakefield Chapel    
|  Back to Top  |  Return to Mid-Atlantic Places of Interest  |  Return to Home Page  |  Order Form  |

Copyright Notice
Drawings Copyright © 1992-2010 Bill Harrah, Wolf Run Studio (SM), All Rights Reserved. Wolf Run Studio is a service mark of Bill Harrah and has been in continuous use since 1992. All of the images on this website are in tangible form and are fully copyrighted. Each has an invisible digital identification which is traceable through the Digimarc Corporation. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out images for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute copies of images or image files to anyone else for any reason. Images may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner, or displayed on any website without the express written consent of Bill Harrah.

Text Copyright © 1992-2010 Terry White or Dianne Harrah. Text on this website is used with permission from the authors. Viewers of the Wolf Run Studio website are allowed to browse and print out text for personal, non-commercial use only. Text may not be reproduced or used in any form or any manner without the express written consent of the authors.

Information Accuracy
The information for the written description of each location has been carefully researched by the authors and is believed to be accurate. New findings, however, could make some information out-of-date. If you are a professional historian, archaeologist, or architect, and have new information that you are willing to share, please contact Dianne Harrah .