In Military Service For America Memorial
#NC-10190-MM - Notecards
Also available in Assortment Pack #AST-721
#PR-10190-MM - Open Edition Print
4.2 acres of land at the gateway to Arlington National Cemetery,
the Women's Memorial is the nation's first major memorial honoring
the nearly 2 million women who have served with or in our nation's
Education Center, with its 16 exhibit alcoves, memorializes the
collective and individual histories of servicewomen, from the
American Revolution to the present. This 33,000 square foot facility
houses a 196-seat theater, a computerized interactive Register;
a Hall of Honor; conference room; gift shop and exhibit gallery.
Reagan signed legislation on November 6, 1986, authorizing the
Women's Memorial to be built in Washington, DC or its environs.
The Memorial is at the historic Grand Entrance and Hemicycle of
Arlington National Cemetery. The Hemicycle, dedicated in 1932,
was restored and renovated by the Women In Military Service For
America Memorial Foundation and hailed as an elegant solution
to integrating a new purpose with an historic structure. An essential
design element is the creative and imaginative use of water, light
and passage as symbols of women's military accomplishments. Text
and images amplify these accomplishments as the story of servicewomen
past and present unfolds at the Women's Memorial.
© 1998 Dianne Harrah, Drawing © 1998 Bill Harrah